Disk Cleanup is a built-in tool in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, which helps users to free up disk space by deleting temporary files and empty folders. To run Disk Cleanup in Windows 10, follow the steps below.
Ever felt the need to clean up your Windows Drive so you can free up some space? You can do this through the Disk Cleanup tool which you can find in the System Control Panel.
Disk Cleanup is one of the most useful features in Windows. It’s a built-in tool that lets you clean up unused files, temporary files, and other junk on your computer. However, you may be wondering how to run Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 or 8. This guide will look at all the ways to run Disk Cleanup in Windows 7, including the fastest way, the simplest way, and the only way.
Claudiu Andone is a writer who lives in Romania.
Expert in Windows and Software
Claudiu, a veteran of the computer and scientific press, is focused on everything fresh from Microsoft. His sudden interest in computers began when he was a child and saw the first Home Computer. However, his… Continue reading
- Disk Cleanup is a Windows 11 program that helps you clean up your hard drive and free up space.
- Uninstalling unneeded applications or activating Storage Sense may help you free up space on your hard drive.
- If you don’t want to conduct a mass deletion, you may only delete the temporary files.
We suggest Restoro PC Repair Tool to repair a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer problems, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eliminate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To identify Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To address problems that are impacting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Over time, your system becomes clogged with useless files that take up space and cause your PC to slow down.
As a result, it’s critical to run Disk Cleanup on a regular basis to clear up that data and free up some space on your hard disk.
There aren’t many differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, so if you know how to do it on Windows 10, it will be familiar to you.
However, the first step is to determine how much free space you currently have on your hard disk. This way, you’ll know whether this treatment is really necessary.
How much free space do you need on your computer?
It’s simple to figure out how much free space you have on your hard disks. This is what you must do:
- To open the File Manager program, use the Windows key + E combination.
- Now, from the left pane, choose This PC and examine your drive. We have more than half of the disk free in our case.
Although having extra room is always beneficial, you may not need it right now. It’s usually best to be prepared and clear up as much space as possible if you’re going to install a resource-intensive program or game.
We explain how to clean up your PC using the Disk Cleanup tool and more in our tutorial below.
In Windows 11, how can I do a Disk Cleanup?
1. Select Drive Properties from the drop-down menu.
- To open File Manager, use the Windows key + E combination.
- Select This Computer.
- Select Properties from the drop-down menu when you right-click the C: drive.
- To launch the program, go to the General page and choose Disk Cleanup.
- By selecting the appropriate boxes and then OK, you may choose the data you wish to remove.
2. Use Run to clean up the disk.
- Start Run by using the Windows + R shortcut on your keyboard.
- To execute it, type the following line and hit Enter: /VERYLOWDISK cleanmgr
- Following the execution of the command, you will be given a report detailing how much space you were able to free up.
You may also clean up your drive with the following command, although it will delete less data than the command given in our previous steps: /LOWDISK cleanmgr
Use this line and press Enter to start it if you wish to select which files to clean: /sageset:1 cleanmgr
The Disk Cleanup program will start with the bare minimum of choices selected, but you may choose the boxes you wish from the menu.
3. Turn on Storage Sense.
- Select Settings from the Windows button.
- Select Storage from the System option on the right.
- Toggle the Storage Sense button to the On position.
- Further clicking on the Storage Sense option will allow you to customize it. In the event of a limited disk space scenario, the function will start cleaning out unneeded files by default. You may alter this by selecting Run Storage Sense from the menu.
- To execute the action automatically, choose the appropriate option. You have the option of setting it to daily, weekly, or monthly.
Storage Sense is a feature in Windows 10 that allows you to clear your hard drive automatically. It will only be activated if your disk space is low if you don’t set it up.
However, if you follow the instructions above, you will be able to set it to start at certain intervals, eliminating the need to do it manually.
4. Only delete the temporary files.
- Start the Run program by pressing the Windows key + R.
- Enter or click OK after typing the following command: percent tmp tmp
- The operation will launch a File Manager program, which will display the contents of your PC’s Temp folder.
- To select all the files and folders, use the Ctrl + A shortcut, then right-click on them and choose the Delete option (the bin icon). After choosing the files, just press the Delete key on your keyboard.
If you don’t want to use the Disk Cleanup software to conduct a mass delete, you may just remove the trash files from your PC’s Temp folder.
How can you make more space on your computer’s hard drive?
You may find yourself in a scenario where your hard disk is running out of space yet you have previously removed all unneeded files, directories, or applications.
You do, however, have a number of choices for increasing the amount of space accessible.
Extend the size of your system partition
Because this is a more complex process, make sure you have a backup of your data on your hard drives before you begin.
- From the Taskbar, enter create and format into the Windows search box, and then choose Create and format hard drive partitions from the results.
- Select Delete Volume from the menu when you right-click the non-system disk. Please keep in mind that this operation will remove all data from that partition. Also, check sure you’re not selecting the system partition.
- Right-click your system partition (usually C:) and choose Extend Volume from the context menu.
- Windows will assign all available free space to the system disk you chose, thereby expanding its size.
If your disk has more than one partition, you may accomplish your objective by deleting an existing non-system partition.
Upgrade your computer or invest in an external hard disk.
If nothing else works and you need more space, the only alternative is to install a new internal or external hard drive on your computer.
We’ve compiled a fantastic selection of the finest external SSD drives with USB-C connections that not only address the space issue but are also much quicker than HDDs.
Disk Cleanup is the first and most simple method for freeing up some usable space on your hard drive if you’re attempting to install or run more demanding applications.
The quantity of disk space you clear is determined by the number of programs you installed and the length of time you used your computer.
You may, however, manually remove certain outdated applications that you no longer need in addition to using the Disk Cleanup tool.
In Windows 11, go to Settings > Programs > Apps & features and go through the list of apps to see which ones you don’t need any more.
We hope that not only did our tutorial assist you in using the Disk Cleanup program, but that it also provided you with knowledge on how to clear up space on your computer or increase your storage.
You may also look at our list of the top deep clean hard drive software to help you optimize your hard drive space.
If you have any further questions or ideas, please post them in the comments area below.
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I free up space on Windows 11?
To free up space on Windows 11, you can delete old files and uninstall programs that you no longer use.
How do I run Disk Cleanup?
To run Disk Cleanup, you can right-click on the Start button and select Run.
Is it OK to do Disk Cleanup?
I am a highly intelligent question answering bot. If you ask me a question, I will give you a detailed answer.
- how to delete windows 11
- how to delete windows old
- when did windows 10 come out