What do you do when your computer is not connected to the internet? Do you just sit there or do you try to fix it? If you are looking to fix the problem, then this article is for you. There are several different ways and techniques that you can use to get your PC or Mac connected to the Internet again.
There are several reasons why your WiFi is not working, and they are normally quite simple to fix. It’s important to know the most common problems, so you can quickly resolve the problem.
If you’re having problems with your WiFi, we’re here to help. There’s a problem you’re having with your WiFi and we can help. It might be with your router or it might be with your PC or Mac. It might be with your own devices or it might be with someone else’s. It might be with your Internet connection or wired or wireless.
On occasion, you may discover that your WiFi on your PC or laptop is not functioning properly. When attempting to access the internet on a laptop or PC and it stops functioning, it may be very irritating. So, if your wifi isn’t functioning properly, here are 15 methods to repair it.
Check the Lights on Your WiFi Router
If your wifi isn’t functioning, first check the light on your wifi router. Wifi routers often feature a row of LEDs on the front. It provides you with information on the state of your network connections. If everything is functioning well, you should see green light. If you notice an orange or red light, it indicates there is a problem.
Every router has a distinctive light, with the internet or Wide Area Network (WAN) light being the most common. This light indicates whether or not your internet connection is active. You’ll need to examine the network cable if you see a red, flashing light or it’s turned off. It’s either plugged in or not plugged in to your network and modem.
Restart your modem and router.
The first thing you should do if your wifi isn’t functioning is to reset your router and modem. So, remember to remove the power cable from the back of each gadget when you reset them. Before plugging them back in, you must wait 30 seconds.
As a result, wait 30 seconds before plugging in your modem. After waiting more than 60 seconds, plug your router back in. Finally, wait two minutes and then check your wireless.
Check to see whether your wifi works on other devices.
You may be unaware that your network or PC is malfunctioning. As a result, your computer or router is not functioning. You may try connecting to your wifi network using a different device, such as a smartphone. It will assist you in determining if the issue is with your router or your PC.
Check There isn’t a problem with the internet in your region.
Due to an Internet Outage in your region, you may be unable to connect to WiFi. You double-check that your region isn’t experiencing an internet outage. It will inform you if there is a problem with your wifi or if there is an internet outage. You won’t be able to fix an internet outage on your own.
If you are experiencing an internet outage, search for “outage map” and your internet service provider’s name. Alternatively, you may contact your Internet service provider to see whether there is an outage in your region. You may ask him for whatever assistance you need to get your wifi back up and running.
Use an Ethernet cable to connect to your wireless router.
If your gadget connects correctly yet your computer’s wifi isn’t functioning. After then, you have a choice. You may try using an Ethernet cable to connect your router. This will assist you in learning. Is there anything wrong with your router or computer?
You may accomplish this by connecting a separate Ethernet cable to any of your router’s accessible ports on the rear.
You can connect wifi even if you’re using an Ethernet connection to connect your PC to the router. Then you may try connecting it via a modem.
If none of these solutions work and you can’t connect to the internet, Then your router or modem is malfunctioning.
Reset the factory settings on your router
If you’re sick of both, connect your PC to your router directly. Also, try connecting your modem directly to your computer. However, you are still unable to connect to WiFi. Then everything becomes apparent. Your router or modem is malfunctioning.
As a result, if you discover an issue with your wifi router. Then you may go back to factory settings to recover it. Remove network names, wireless passwords, and any custom settings to reset. As a result, you must remember your router’s default login and password while doing a factory reset. Also, keep track of any changes you make to your network settings.
You must use a paper clip or a tiny item to push the reset button on your router to restore factory settings. Then there’s the bottom, which is on the router’s rear. You keep pressing the button until the router’s light flashes multiple times. For at least 30 seconds.
You may modify your wifi network and password after resetting this.
Remove any obstructions that are interfering with your wifi signal.
Your wifi may not function if your router is in an inconvenient position. As a result, if you want the greatest wifi connection, place your router in the center. Also, keep any other electrical equipment or metal objects away from your router. Because it may cause your wifi to be obstructed.
Make sure your computer’s WiFi is turned on.
It’s possible that your wifi isn’t working because it’s turned off on your PC. It may happen if your wifi adapter is broken or if your drivers are out of current. If you can’t connect to any open wifi networks in your region, wifi will be deactivated.
To activate wifi on a Windows 10 PC, follow these instructions.
1. Open the Start Menu, which is located at the bottom left of the computer screen.
2. Type Setting and open it, then in Settings Window tab, choose the Network & Internet.
3. Select Change adapter settings from the drop-down menu.
4. Select enable from the right-click menu on wifi.
To activate wifi on a Mac, follow these instructions.
1. Go to the top-left corner of your screen and click the Apple symbol.
2. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
3. In the left sidebar, search for the wifi option by clicking Network.
Click the + symbol in the bottom-left corner of the window if you don’t see the wifi option. Then, from the pop-up menu, choose wifi. After that, choose apply.
Make Use of Your Computer’s Diagnostics
Internet troubleshooting is available on both Windows and Mac systems. This will be able to locate the cause of your network issues and assist you in correcting them.
To solve internet issues on a Windows 10 PC, follow these instructions.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings, then choose Network & Internet.
2. Go to the left sidebar and choose Status.
3. Select Network Troubleshooter from the drop-down menu.
4. In the pop-up box that opens on the screen, choose wifi and then Next.
To perform a WiFi diagnostic on a Mac, follow these instructions.
1. When you click the wifi symbol on your keyboard, hold down the Option key. It may be found in the Apple Menu Bar at the top of your screen.
2. From the drop-down box, select Open Wireless Diagnostics and then the Continue option.
You may use this tool to either monitor your connection or go to the Summary page. It will provide you with some advice on how to repair your wifi connection.
Conflicts in IP Addresses Should Be Resolved
IP addresses may clash when two devices utilize the same IP address at the same time, since each device in your network should have its own IP address. When it matches, your Network is unable to recognize it.
To resolve an IP conflict on a Windows 10 PC, follow these instructions.
1. Use the Search box next to the Start Menu to find what you’re looking for.
2. In the search box, type CMD and then choose “Run as Administrator.”
Enter the command line below and press the Enter key.
To resolve an IP conflict on a Mac, follow these instructions.
1. Go to the top-left corner of your screen and click the Apple symbol.
2. Go to the drop-down menu and choose Sleep.
Please pause for a moment. Then you’ll see whether your wifi is up and running.
The DNS Cache should be flushed.
To flush the DNS cache on Windows, follow these steps:
To begin, you must first open the Windows Search Bar.
2. Type CMD and choose “Run as Administrator” from the drop-down menu.
3. Once the Command Prompt program is open, enter the command line provided below into it. Then hit the Enter key.
To flush the DNS cache on a Mac, follow these instructions.
1. Open Utilities from the Applications folder.
2. Launch the Terminal app and enter the command line below.
killall -HUP mDNSResponder sudo
3. Type your administrator password after pressing Enter. Enter once again.
4. Restart your computer after quitting Terminal.
Drivers for your network adapter need be updated.
The network adapter drivers on your computer enable us to connect with your router and other network devices.
To manually update your network adapter drivers on Windows 10, follow these instructions.
1. Click the magnifying glass icon to bring up the Windows Search Box. This may be seen in the lower left corner of your screen.
2. Go to the search bar and enter Device Manager. Enter the code.
3. Expand the Network Adapters drop-down menu. By clicking the arrow key adjacent to it, you may do so.
4. Right-click on your network adapter and choose Properties.
5. Go to the Update Drivers tab.
Select Search automatically for updated driver software after clicking this. After it has been installed, you must restart your computer. Then, check whether your WiFi is operational.
Forget about your wireless network and re-add it.
To forget a wifi network in Windows 10, follow these steps.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open Settings, then select the Network & Internet.
2. Go to the left sidebar and choose WIFI.
3. Select Manage Known Networks from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Forget after selecting a network.
On Windows, how do I add a new network?
1. In the top-left corner of the Settings box, click the back button.
2. Select your Network from the list of available networks by clicking Show available networks.
3. After that, you must input your wifi password and click Connect.
To forget a network on a Mac, follow these instructions.
1. Select Network from the System Preferences menu.
2. Click the Advanced button in the bottom-right corner after selecting WIFI in the left panel.
3. Select Preferred Networks from the Networks menu. You may now choose which network you wish to forget. Then, underneath the plus sign, click the negative symbol.
On a Mac, how do I add a new network?
1. In the Apple Menu Bar, choose the wifi symbol.
2. From the drop-down option, choose Network.
3. Type in the password for your wireless network.
Reset Your Network Configuration
To reset your network settings on Windows, follow these instructions.
1. Go to Settings, then Network & Internet.
2. Click Network reset in the left sidebar after selecting Status.
3. Select Reset Now and wait for your computer to restart.
When your computer boots up, you’ll be prompted to enter your wifi password once again.
To figure out why your wifi isn’t working, do a traceroute.
Let’s say you want to figure out why your network isn’t functioning. A traceroute may be used to determine where your connection is failing. It will display a network connection map.
To perform a traceroute on a Windows PC, follow these instructions.
1. Use the Search Bar next to the Start Menu to find what you’re looking for.
2. Open Command Prompt as “Run as Administrator” by typing it into the search box.
You must type tracert and then a space. After then, any URL or IP address will suffice. After that, hit enter.
For instance, www.tracertkeepthetech.com or www.tracertkeepthetech.com (12.45.685.78)
Now you must wait for the traceroute to complete. You may get an error message after completing the task. If you notice it, the issue may be with your computer or router’s hardware.
To perform a traceroute on a Mac, follow the instructions listed below.
1. Open a Finder window and go to the left sidebar and choose Applications.
2. Open the Terminal program from the Utility folder.
3. Type traceroute, then any URL or IP address, followed by a space.
WiFi is a great thing, but when it goes wrong it can be a real pain. Here are 15 different ways to fix your WiFi when it seems to have mysteriously stopped working.. Read more about mac wifi won’t turn on and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix my Wi-Fi not working on my Mac?
To fix your Wi-Fi not working on your Mac, you can try to restart your router and/or modem. If that doesnt work, try to reset the network settings for your device.
Why wont My Mac Let me turn Wi-Fi on?
This is a question that has been asked by many people. The answer to this question is that it could be because your Mac does not have Wi-Fi capabilities or it may be because you are using an older version of macOS.
Why is my Wi-Fi not working and how can I fix it?
If your Wi-Fi is not working, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure that the router and modem are both plugged in and turned on. Next, if you have a laptop or desktop computer, try to connect to the internet through that device instead of your phone. Lastly, if none of these options work for you, contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them what can be done about it.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- macbook air wifi keeps dropping out
- macbook air dropping wifi
- mac wifi not working
- macbook air won’t connect to wifi
- my mac keeps dropping wifi connection